Thursday, January 26, 2023

Blog Post #3


The History of the Supreme court is a very interesting one, And I honestly learned a lot about its workings and history. I didn't know the Chief Justice was not just responsible for overseeing the supreme court and setting Justice's agenda, but also for Trials of impeachment against the president. Alongside this, I had never heard about several of the supreme court cases that ended up being very impactful on the United States as a whole. Cases like Mapp v. Ohio, United States v. Windsor, and Texas V. Johnson had huge impacts on the nation and introduced me to cases I otherwise had unnoticed.

For me, the most important takeaway is the Supreme Court's major impact on the nation whether they were positive or negative. The article makes clear that SCOTUS is very important. Cases like U.S. v. Nixon and Texas v. Johnson had tons of positive outcomes. Yet there have been cases ruled with negative impacts like Dred Scott v. Stanford. The Supreme Court is a very important component of the nation, but we should be reminded that not every ruling is the right one.

The most surprising things I learned were all the facts provided describing notable Supreme Court Justices and their accomplishments. The most interesting for me was Earl Warrens's contributions. I never knew that he was responsible for decisions like Brown v. The Board of Education, and abolishing prohibitions to interracial marriage in Loving v. Virginia. These decisions seriously protect our rights. In its 200-year history, SCOTUS has seriously helped protect rights and benefit the nation as a whole.

Citation:

Supreme Court - History. (n.d.). Retrieved February 1, 2023, from https://www.history.com/topics/us-government-and-politics/supreme-court-facts 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

My Relationship with Technology and Making the right balance. When I think about how I interact with technology, I see how important it beco...